Written by: Mike Ervin
Replacing the ignition
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the
air cleaner to provide room to work around the distributor.
- Remove the distributor cap and wires as an assembly and
position them out of the way.
- Remove the screws and detach the rotor.
- Carefully detach the wires from the module
terminals. If the wires are attached with a plastic connector, release the locking
tang before pulling the connector off the terminals. If the wires are difficult to
remove, you may find it easier to remove the module mounting screws first, detach the
module and then pull off the wires (Do not pull on the wires or the connectors may
- Remove the screws and lift out the module.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure to
apply the silicone dielectric grease supplied with the new module to the distributor
pad. (Do not use any other type of grease! If the grease is not used,
the module will overheat and destroy itself.